Welcome, Aspen Country Day School Parents!
Looking for information and resources to guide your family’s journey at school? You’ve come to the right place.
Handy tools for parents
mark your child absent or late, sign a child in or out of school, or change afternoon plans here
get classroom updates, message teachers, check calendars and signups here
complete health forms, pay tuition, view report cards, and resources for students here
see photo galleries and videos from school activities, order prints or gifts here
Most of these answers can be found in Guide to the Journey, the Aspen Country Day School family handbook.
What’s for lunch?
>Menus are at this link. Kindergarten through Eighth Graders head to the Dining Hall daily for a nutritious hot lunch from Sage Dining. There’s also a fresh salad and sandwich choice daily. PreKindergarten and Preschool children bring their own lunch, as teachers find that this age group does best with familiar food brought from home. Middle Schoolers have snack provided in the Dining Hall; all other grades bring their own favorite snacks daily.
School hours & calendar
Classes begin promptly at 8:15 am and end at 3:15 pm. This schedule repeats every weekday that school is in session. Parents who are driving their children to campus may begin drop-off at 8 am.
The most up-to-date school calendar is at this link. Current parents can log in to ParentSquare here.
New to school? How to prepare
Welcome to all our new students and parents! We’re so glad you joining our school community.
- Parents from the Welcoming Committee will be reaching out to make sure your introduction to the Aspen Country Day School community is warm and informative. Some summer activities to get parents and children together include playdates, hikes, and other gatherings to help you and your children become better acquainted with everyone at school.
- Check the summer page with assignments for your children to complete, with some required reading, math, and world language assignments for older students; suggested learning activities for younger children; and reading and outdoor activities for all.
- Watch your email and ParentSquare feed (get the app here!) for updated calendars for the school year, information about health and safety protocols, and more.
Please reach out if you have ANY questions – we are here to help!
Walking or biking to school on the Castle Creek Road path is great option whenever possible. Families carpool to campus, and Aspen Country Day School also operates school buses throughout the valley. Express routes start in Carbondale, Willits, Snowmass Village, and Aspen. Daily bus service is on a space-available basis, and seats are first-come/first-served. Parents manage their children’s transportation plans in the SchoolPass app (directions here).
School closures & snow days
In inclement weather, the school has its own process for deciding whether roads are safe for travel and whether the campus can be opened. This is a change from previous years; ACDS will no longer automatically have a snow day when the public school district(s) have one.
Based on a careful assessment of conditions, the start of the school day may be delayed. In most cases, the day will then begin at 10:15 am. Alternatively, the school may close for the entire day. Announcements of delayed starts or closures will be communicated directly to parents through an automated phone & text message system.
PIE Parent Association
A strong partnership with parents is why we call our parent organization Partners in Education, or PIE. The chief function of PIE is to coordinate the efforts of parent volunteers and to strengthen the school community. A PIE volunteer form is sent at the start of each year. Every year about 90% of our families volunteer in some way. Thank you!
What does PIE do?
- Welcoming: providing helpful information and guidance to new families throughout the school year
- Grade Ambassadors: organizing help for teachers with classroom events and creating parent gatherings
- Dining Hall: volunteering at lunchtime to help make sure each child’s lunch is a warm and inviting experience
- Teacher Appreciation: creating ways to show appreciation for our faculty, including the Teacher Holiday Fund
- Community partnerships: connecting classrooms with opportunities for service learning and useful projects in the broader community
Every student is expected to be in school, health permitting, every school day of the year. Family travel or vacations should not be scheduled while school is in session. Much of the curriculum at ACDS is project-based; presentations, group assignments, and participation in discussions, labs, or workshops cannot be replicated. Absences that deprive the student of these opportunities will diminish the educational experience not just for the absent student but for classmates as well.
All absences should be recorded in the SchoolPass app. Instructions for using this app are at this link.